Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Journey of our Christmas Tree


Every year we cut down our Christmas tree in the woods around the Wayan Valley. This year, with so little snow, we got to drive further up the mountain to search for the best little Charlie Brown tree we could find. Here is a little log of our adventure....

Setting out for the hunt. Natalie and I in the forest up Lanes Creek in Wayan Idaho. How sad, we are at about 6500 feet with very little snow.

We found the perfect tree! The tree is pretty thick and tall, but we think it will fit in our house.

After a good 10 minutes of hacking at the tree, I finally got the beast cut.

We had to carry the tree about 200 yards to the road. From there, we took it back to Wayan and had my cousin, Kevan bring it back to Star for us. Thanks Kevan, I don't know if the tree would have made it back strapped to the top of our van.

After I cut the tree and jammed it through our door, Natalie hung the lights and started with the ornaments.

Both Nathan and Brittanie soon got into the action. I think they liked climbing up and down the ladder more than hanging the ornaments, but at least they had fun.


The finished tree. We think the beads kind of look sad, so they will likely be taken down tomorrow. Natalie also thinks she needs to buy more ornamanents. We have a huge tree with little ornaments. What do you think?

7 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

The idea of cutting down your own tree is nostalgic and romantic. I'm sure it makes for a great family adventure, and for that reason alone is worth doing. That being said, the quality of tree you pull out of the native forests will never be as full and symmetrical as the genetically manipulated and properly solarly exposed tannenbaum. Yet the sad drooping beads and the sparsley spaced decorations do indeed engender a melancholy sentiment that I found charming in Charlie Brown's Christmas.

My vote would be to keep it as is. But for the sake of marital felicity, let your wife buy some more decorations and make that tree more glorious than the one at Time Square!

Brittney said...

I think it looks great and that is just part of the whole experience. Forest cut trees are supposed to look funny! I think you really scored on the fullness of that tree though!

Kathleen said...

Scott and Nat..it is time you learned an important "Aunt Lisa lesson". When it comes to Christmas decorations..Gaudy is good and there is NO SUCH THINGS AS TOO MANY DECORATIONS ON A TREE! Natalie..quick..run to the nearest Walmart or whatever is near and BUY BUY BUY! (Sorry Scott....)
I love the REAL tree..cant beat the smell..for me though..they just arent worth the hives they cause! :)

Jeremy and Tami said...

You guys are awesome!! The tree...LOL I love it, don't change a thing. We miss you guys already. Take care
-Tami

Maria said...

We go into the mountains and cut our own tree down every year. I would never trade my sparse uneven trees for a bushy looking lot tree. Plus, you can't even see the ornaments on those trees. I love your tree. It looks wonderful and I bet is smells great. You can't replace the memories you make either.

Snelders said...

We miss being able to cut our own tree down in Wayan! We picked ours up from Fred Meyer - not near the adventure!

Coppin Crew said...

What a fun tradition! When I tell the kids it's time to put the tree up we take our adventure downstairs to the storage room to dig out the big box that is on the bottom in the very back corner. I think your tree looks great and is full of love! Happy Holidays!