Saturday, October 11, 2008

Who Knew: Kindergarten can be stressful!






So I signed up to go with Britt on her 1st field trip. We were walking to the fire station and I thought Nate would love it too, so he came along. It ended up being the coldest morning we've had in a long time with a light rain. Nathan walked about 1 block before he started complaining about his legs hurting. So I carried him nearly 1 mile to the fire station. After a fun visit where we learned STOP-DROP-ROLL and Don't hide-Go outside, the kids got to take turns sitting in the drivers seat of the fire truck. As we were about to leave Nate said he needed to go potty so I quickly found a bathroom and told Britt to stay with her class and we would catch up soon. Well Nate heard me say we were going back to the school so he refused to use the potty at the fire station because now he wants to wait and go at Britt's school. He was pretty cranky at this point and I tried to force him to go at the station--but I was not successful. So we are walking back to school in the cold rain and Nathan made it about 2 blocks before he starts to squirm (I'm still carrying him on my back) and he says "Mommy, I need to go potty. Can I pee on those rocks?" I knew that traveling in a long line of kindergartners that we could not sneak in a quick wilderness potty break. So I'm trying to distract him by talking about other things when suddenly I hear Britt screaming. I turned around and she was face down on the road. While walking with her hands in her jacket pockets she tripped on a rock and couldn't get her arms out to catch herself. She scraped her little nose pretty bad and kept screaming at me to "Get the rock out of my NOSE!" Well, there were no rocks in her nose but it did start to bleed. So now Nate is screaming at me "Mom...Mommy...MOMMY I gotta go Potty!!!" and Britt is crying hysterically that she has a rock in her left nostril and we still had to walk another 5 blocks before I could really help either one of them. Once on the school grounds Nate,who is now riding on my shoulders because Britt needed to hold my hand, is really REALLY squirming and starting to panic that he is not going to make it to a bathroom. So now I'm REALLY, REALLY starting to panic that he is not going to make it to the bathroom either and that he is going to pee down my back and I'm wearing a new shirt! Needless to say, once the teacher opened the door to the classroom, I think I mowed down a few kids to get to the bathroom ASAP. After Nate went potty, and I cleaned up Britt's nose, I felt like I had really earned my honorary fire fighter badge today. Because it was only 11:oo a.m. and I have already put out 2 fairly serious fires!

7 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

When I saw her little nose at church today I was wondering how it happened and I knew there must be a good story behind it. Good job mom! Way to take care of two emergencies at once.

Strupp Family said...

I do love a good post that makes me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. Man, it just sounds all too familiar but I get frustrated WAY before you and I want to scream (not necessarily at my kids, just scream). Good times.

My firestation field trip was pretty short since it was for the preschoolers. Tyler's for kindergarted is next week, but they've been talking about fire safety all week and that's ALL I hear about.

Anonymous said...

Always a good time when it includes: field trip, cold weather, brothers and no toilet. You are a brave Mommy and I am so proud of you. Kiss the kids, Love Grandma Gog

Coppin Crew said...

Wow, you are a hero. Those are the moments that make you laugh because if you don't laugh you'll start to cry. Sometimes though, during those moments, I wonder if I'm laughing because I'm insane. Way to hold together! You're a great mom!

Snelders said...

Wow - sounds like a fun way to spend your morning! I could picture the entire situation and it was making me laugh! Poor Brit - hopefully she feels better!

juevarts said...

How could peeing at the school be cooler than the firestation?? He has his own firehose!

If it makes you feel any better Britt, I've done that before too, only I was 20 and I broke my two front teeth. You are more graceful than I!

Brittney said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny and sad at the very same time! Hope eveything is better now!